Tuesday 30 October 2018

A New bible reading plan: 8 not 10

I recently came across Professor Horner's Bible Reading System.
I was looking for a new plan for my bible reading, and was keen to read more of God's word each day, having been reminded in a sermon that it's "The knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness.
Professor Horner's system seemed interesting.

However, much as I love Acts and Proverbs, it seemed that reading each of them 3-4 times as often as each of the gospels, or five times as often as Psalms seemed a little much.
So, I've basically taken his plan and adapted it to make a slightly more manageable 8 readings per day.

I read one chapter a day from each of the following lists.

1) TORAH: Genesis-Deuteronomy (187 chapters)
2) GOSPELS: Matthew-John (89 Chapters)
3) OT HISTORY: Joshua-Esther (249 Chapters)
4) PAUL: Romans-Philemon (87 Chapters)
5) PROPHETS: Isaiah-Malachi (250 Chapters)
6) REST OF NT: Hebrews-Revelation, Acts (84 Chapters)
7) WISDOM: Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs (93 Chapters)
8) PSALMS: Psalms! (150 Chapters)

This means that all the NT plus OT Wisdom will be read about 4 times per year. Psalms will be read a more that twice a year, Torah nearly twice per year, and the rest of the OT read about 1.5 times per year.

I'm on Day 23 and am absolutely LOVING it. I want to get out of bed when the alarm goes, because I'm desperate to read as much of it as possible before the first child gets up! My usual pattern over the last few years has been to read a chapter a day. Whilst that's absolutely fine, and there's no rule about how much you should read, I was finding myself too often being slow to get out of bed because I knew I could read my reading in a few minutes: yes, it was better when I studied it in more depth, but, honestly, often I didn't.
So, the discipline of reading more is good for me at the moment.
I've also been so amazed by the connections of the passages, that I thought a blog might be useful both as a discipline for me to focus and may be of some value to someone else wanting to follow the plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 10 Genesis 10, Matthew 10, Joshua 10, Romans 10, Isaiah 10, Hebrews 10, Job 10, Psalm 10

In our churches we often sing that the Lord is King. We echo David in proclaiming that He is "King for ever" (Psalm 10:16)  But wh...